“For many, active engagement in the needs and challenges of society will . . . be a rewarding new element in a life that’s already busy and productive. For others, it will bring new meaning to an existence that may have felt humdrum or uninspired. But for everyone who chooses to contribute in ways large or small, there will be the satisfaction of knowing that their gift to the community can have a multiplying effect, giving hope to others and helping to spread the enlivening spirit of shared citizenship throughout our entire society.”
- from Citizen You: Doing Your Part to Change the World by Jonathan M. Tisch
In his latest book, Tisch explains how everyone, from individuals to corporate leaders and employees, can help others through innovative thinking, social entrepreneurship, mentoring programs, civic engagement, and much more. Tisch even includes a list of 52 ways (one for each week of the year) that you can learn more and become involved. As he states in the above quote, no matter how you choose to give back, your actions will undoubtedly change others’ lives, as well as your own.
I particularly experienced such a moment last summer when I delivered a carload of food and drugstore items that I had acquired with coupons to The City Mission in downtown Cleveland. As I was unloading numerous bags from my trunk, one of the workers came over to assist me, took one look at all that I had, and said, “Are we glad to see you! We had a line at the door this morning before we even opened.” I remember that statement every time I feel that I don't have time to devote to cutting and sorting coupons, shopping, and organizing items. Knowing that others in need benefit from my couponing and shopping skills – tasks I would do anyway – makes the time and effort worthwhile.
To learn more about donations needed for The City Mission, click here.
Click on the links below to view items you can get for free or for a deeply discounted price:
- Walgreens (These deals are for the week of June 5, and include Omega Smart Super Critical Ultimate Fish Oils, Healthy Woman Soy Supplement, SoBe Life Water, and select Reach dental care)
- CVS (These deals are for the week of June 5, and include Oral B Pulsar toothbrush, Excedrin extra strength, Crest Pro-Health Rinse, Colgate toothpaste or toothbrush, and Ivory soap, Lamisil, and Ban deodorant)
- Rite Aid (These items are for the week of June 5, and include Blink Tears, Veet, and Oral-B)
- Giant Eagle (These deals run from Thursday, June 2, to Wednesday, June 8)
- Target (These include weekly and ongoing deals)