WPPL offers ebooks and audiobooks from Overdrive. Click here to download ebooks and audiobooks.
You can download ebooks for a range of ereaders, like the Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader or Barnes and Noble Nook and many others.
Overdrive also offers apps for Apple devices (iPhone, iPad), Android, Blackberry and Windows Phone.
We also offer audiobooks that will play on many devices.
To use Overdrive, all you need is a valid library card.
Do you have a question about whether your device will work with our ebooks/audiobooks? Check out Overdrive's Device Resource Center
For help, check out our Downloadables Support page, or or call the Popular Materials desk at 440-250-5462.
OneClickdigital by Recorded Books is a new source of downloadable audiobooks available at Westlake Porter Public Library. After a quick one-time account set-up process on WPPL's customized OneClickdigital website, you can checkout and download audiobooks from Recorded Books, including exclusive content from authors like Diana Gabaldon. There are also apps available for Android, Kindle Fire, iPhone and iPad.
Zinio allows our users to instantly view magazines on any Internet-enable device -- computer, e-reader, or other mobile device. There are Zinio apps available for the iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, and Blackberry Playbook for ease of use with those mobile devices. We offer 79 popular titles. Each title allows unlimited multiple users.
For easy instructions, use our Quick Start Guide.
Freegal provides downloadable music from Sony Music Entertainment, and includes music from labels like Arista, RCA and Columbia. You can download five mp3 songs per week (starting each Monday).
The songs are DRM-free, which means you can play them on any device that plays mp3s: your iPod, your phone, that mp3 player in your junk drawer, it's up to you!
How it works:
- Click on the Freegal logo above.
- Log in using your library card number (all characters, no spaces)
- Accept the end user licensing agreement
- Browse by category, or search for specific artists.
- When you find a song you like, click "download now" and save it to your computer.
Now you can enjoy music from Hoopla along with the downloadable movies, television and other videos!
- The load period for music albums is 7 days.
- The load period for videos is 3 days.
- You can watch or listen to up to 10 items per month.
You can watch videos and listen to music on your PC via a browser, or on your Android (4.0/Gingerbread) or iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) (7.1). There is also a Hoopla app available for Kindle Fire HDX tablets on which you can listen to downloaded music. For more information and tips about specific devices, check out the Hoopla support page.
If you want to watch movies on your desktop or laptop (PC/Mac), you will need to download the Widevine browser-based video plug-in which is available here.
To get started, create your account on Hoopladigital.com. Choose the version for your operating system and browser. For more information on Widevine as it relates to Hoopla, go to the Hoopla Support page and click on the menu item for the Widevine Plug-in.
There are many sources of free ebooks and audiobooks. Most are public domain (no longer subject to copyright) but there are some places to find free original content.
- Project Gutenberg - largest site for public domain ebooks and audiobooks
- Archive.org -
- Librivox.org - public domain audiobooks
- Feedbooks.com - Public Domain
- Feedbooks.com - Original books
- Booksshouldbefree.com - free public domain audiobooks
- Harlequin - click on "Free ebooks"
Calibre is an open-source (free) ebook management tool, available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can sync ebooks to your ereading device and convert ebooks that are not protected by D.R.M. You can even download information from the web and convert it into ebooks.
Calibre does not work with Overdrive ebooks, but it is a great tool for managing other ebook libraries.
TumbleBooks are animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they'll love.
Click here to go to the storybooks page and click on the "iPad" button above each title to begin watching!
It's like having your own personal trainer and nutritionist—featuring workout and diet plans customized to your specific goals, skill level, and equipment. GymAmerica gives you access to...
- Exclusive GymAmerica workout and diet programs
- Robust and easy-to-use diet tracker
- Build your own workouts and diets
- Over 1,200 exercises with instructional videos
- Comprehensive workout tracker with calories burned scorecard
- Nutrition scorecard for tracking 14 nutrient targets
- 40,000+ food database
- Recipe finder and maker
- Personal profile page, friends, and groups
- Message boards and blog journal
You can also download the free GymAmerica iPhone® app for real-time tracking.
The Downloadables Support page will help you get answers to questions like "What device should I buy," "How do I use Overdrive," and "Where do I get help when I'm having trouble with my device?"
Click above to find:
- device-specific video tutorials, downloadable guides and support resources
- Overdrive help
- information on one-on-one appointments
- information on upcoming classes